Consent Letters for Canadian Children Travelling Abroad

The Government of Canada strongly recommend that Canadian children carry a consent letter if they are

(a) travelling abroad alone,
(2)  with only one parent/guardian,
(3) with friends or relatives or with a group.

For the purposes of this consent letter, a Canadian child is defined as anyone who is under the age of majority (18 or 19, depending on the province or territory of residence).

A consent letter is not a legal requirement in Canada, but it can simplify travel for Canadian children, as it may be requested by immigration authorities when entering or leaving a foreign country or by Canadian officials when re-entering Canada. The letter demonstrates that Canadian children have permission to travel abroad from parents or guardians who are not accompanying them.

For more information and sample letters, please visit